Thursday, September 27, 2012

Tovani Chapters 5 & 6

Tovani's Chapter 5 emphasizes the need for defining a purpose to the students.  This allows the students to determine what information is important and which parts are not important.  The portion of the chapter that I most enjoyed were the sections about Reciting Voice and Conversation voice.  I thought about this for a little while this evening and realized that I often have the same issue with the Reciting Voice, when I should be using the conversational language.  Depending on the subject, I may travel between the two voices as I read, but I have learned different methods to avoid those issues or ways to deal with them as they occur.  I could see the need for modeling in the classroom specifically for reading based skills.

Tovani's Chapter 6 emphasis is largely about how to engage students at the beginning of an activity.  I really enjoyed the way the teacher used an unrelated picture to scaffold the students into the process.  I specifically liked the way in which the lesson took previous knowledge to create current beliefs.  I could see myself doing something similar to this idea at a beginning of a class.  This activity could promote better questioning skills or observation skills and then the new skills could be applied to science classes where the students have difficulty writing passages and making good laboratory observations. Overall, Chapter 6 gave some very nice advice about how to encourage a greater amount of thinking while reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment